Monday, January 06, 2014

Cold days

It's not snow days we are having lately (those would actually be FUN). It's 'cold' days. Downright freeze your butt off cold. So cold that we haven't been outside in 48 hours. And to say we are going crazy is putting it lightly. Neither of the girls have been to school since before Christmas. 
To pass the time, we are playing with toys, jumping rope, creating with play dou, making cards, baking bread, cleaning the house, emptying closets, having dance parties and singing karoke (on a side note, I'm not sure if I could ever again listen to Demi Lovato sing "Let It Go" without cringing....). 

Ryan and I really strive hard to limit the girls to the recommended "no more than 2 hours/day of screen time"; but when we've been inside for 48 hours, with a newborn who needs to nurse every 3 hours, we caved. 
 Because I needed a break from the whining, fighting and screams. 

But today I got the crazy idea to do some cold weather experiments. First up: the boiling water tossed into the cold air. Now this one was mighty cool in the girls' eyes; and I rank right up there on the cool mom scale now, but I have a pretty burn on my wrist for my efforts. Dang! I dropped the pot after tossing the water into the air, watching it evaporate (except for the cup that splashed up onto my wrist).

Next up: how long does it take to freeze a wet t-shirt. Regan grabbed her iPod and timed this one. We could literally watch the wet t-shirt flapping in the wind get stiffer and stiffer until I was sure it was no longer moving. Regan read aloud the time: 2 minutes and 3 seconds. Holy that is cold!

Our last experiment idea was given to us by my brother and we'll have to wait for the results until tomorrow. We currently have a sealed bottle of water sitting on our deck, which I would assume will freeze, but he tells me otherwise. I guess we'll find out in the morning. Until then, I need to go find some burn cream for my wrist....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GJ asks: was the t-shirt wet when it thawed out, or rather dry ?