Thursday, May 04, 2017

Someday

It's been one of those weeks around here. When I came across this I couldn't help but stop in my tracks and be grateful for the "busy" around here.....
Someday my house will stay clean.
Someday the dishes will be done and cereal not spilled on the floor.
Someday the juice box straw wrappers won’t be stuck to the counter.
Someday there won’t be swings to push.
Someday laundry will be small.
Someday I won’t be the one needed at three am.
Someday bedtime won’t have 32 steps until they’re finally asleep.
Someday I won’t have a little hand in my hand when we cross the street.
Someday there won’t be legoes underfoot.
Someday I won’t have to hear it’s not fair and it’s my turn and he got more.
Someday I won’t sit in a school pick up line wondering why the kid in front of me wasn’t ready to pop out of their car.
Someday there won’t be anyone jumping from stairs too high to the living room below.
Someday I’ll be able to sleep without an alarm.
Someday the house will be so so quiet.
Someday the throw pillows will stay on the couch.
Someday I won’t trip over boots in the entry way.
Someday the crayons won’t break and markers won’t lose their caps.
Someday I won’t hear mom mom mom mom mom mom mom mom.
Someday the bad dreams and thunder scares and tummy aches in the middle of the night will be done.
Someday there won’t be cries of I’m bored and there’s nothing to do and I’m starving. 
Someday trips to Target will be lonely. And less expensive.
Someday there won’t be spelling words to drill and math facts to check.
Someday I won’t wait up for them to get back home.
Someday I won’t have to yell no sneaking picklesor don’t sneak food or don’t sass back.
Someday the paperwork and artwork and clutter on the counter will be gone.
Someday the fundraising will be over.
Someday the worry, well, the worry will probably stay.
Someday all the things that are on my plate today will be done.
Someday my calendar won’t be so crazy color-coded.
Someday my latte will stay hot and my showers uninterrupted.
Someday I will miss today.
Someday I will sit back and think that I did it.
Someday, but not today.
Because today, today isn’t someday.
Today I’m mothering.
I'm so thankful for our three beauties (and Ryan too!) that make my world go 'round. Sure I get annoyed with the constant mess, the dirty pile of clothes that doesn't launder itself, the bickering between the kids, the permission slips to be filled out, the 5:45am Lincoln alarm clock, following a bedtime routine that takes 30 minutes to complete.  The non-stop hum of "mom, mom, mom" that never seems to stop (I've threatened to change my name to dad), the lunches to make and the homework to check. But when I realize that someday it'll all be quiet and I'll long for a pile of laundry and someone to need their mom, I try to take a deep breath and remember to enjoy the ride. 


No comments: