Tuesday, March 31, 2015

17 months

Every month, when the day flips to the 28th and Lincoln turns another month older, I'm reminded just how quickly he is growing up. This past weekend I got to lay my eyes on a tiny 2 month old and I was re-wound to our past. Lincoln sure has grown and developed over these past 17 months. He's our precious-destructive-sweet baby boy and we love him so very much. 

It's been a busy month for him, as I look back. Another ear infection, a trip to the audiologist and another to our beloved ENT, then back to the pediatrician for pre-op all to prep for his upcoming surgery later this week. 
In between all the racing around town, he spent as much time as possible playing outside. He has a love for fresh air like none other. He also still loves books and balls. He is my little helper and often follows me around with his pint sized Swiffer or mini vacuum; and sits perched beside me in the kitchen as I cook. I will make a good husband out of him someday! 
Other tidbits of life at 17 months: 
*he's lacking a lot of talking, though we have been assured this is most likely due to fluid build-up. His mama/dada is often "ya-ya". He can say "hot" and "cuck" (aka: truck) which pretty much refers to anything that moves. Despite this, he gets his needs wants. He does a lot of pointing, a lot of grunting and even a lot of whining. He's got a pretty obvious head shake "no" and uses it constantly!
*he's a terrible sleeper, many nights we see every hour on the clock because he's rolling around and fussing. Again, I'm pretty hopeful this will improve after the next surgery. We haven't let him sleep a full night in his crib because I'm certain he would wake up the entire house at 1 hour intervals. No thank you.
* he can throw a pretty good temper tantrum and responds pretty well if we prepare a transition with warnings (ie: 1 more time), distraction (snacks work well) or a lot of laughing/giggling.
* he is sweet and snuggly and loves to tease us. He will run towards us for a hug and then just before he gets to our arms, he will quickly turn around and laugh as he runs the other direction.
* he is in LOVE with being outside. I cannot say it enough. He loves the sandbox, the slide, the swing, balls, the neighbors dogs, ride on trikes, his red car and just letting the sun hit his face. He could live every waking hour outside. And I am in love with the way his sun-kissed cheeks smell after hours in the fresh air.
* he eats what he wants and is constantly demanding jelly bread (thanks Grandma Jan for that one!). I fondly remember my own grandmother serving me jelly bread so it makes me smile to know my mom introduced him to the same yummy treat. Unfortunately, it's often what he wants at meal times too.
* motor skills-wise he can climb stairs (and down just a few going on his bottom), move the giddy-up horse back and forth, dance by spinning in circles and just recently shaking his hips sideways, and move a ride-on toy backwards (not forwards yet). His short chunky legs haven't allowed for him to climb up onto the couches or chairs yet and for this we are thankful because if given the chance, he opts to stand on this furniture and would for sure tumble off.

We love you messy face! 
Happy 17 months! 

No comments: