Thursday, July 11, 2013

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Now I know that when we bought this house several years ago, we were going to have our share of critters. After all, in ground pools are warm places for critters to hang out.
So I've seen lots of dead animals floating in the pool, and I can muster up the energy to scoop them out and toss them in the trash. But imagine my surprise, when I glance in the pool yesterday afternoon and see something swimming in the water! To say I was in hysterics is putting it lightly. I'm sure the neighbors thought I had just severed a limb the way I was screaming. But there it was, a mouse swimming laps in our pool. Who knew mice could even swim!? And to make matters worse, I was home alone with the girls. Awesome. Hysterically, I mean calmly, I called Ryan for advice. He chuckled and offered up a solution "fish it out with the net and clobber it". There was no fishing anything LIVING out of the pool by me. No way. I couldn't even fathom it. My pregnant self just kept screaming. But I knew I couldn't just leave the darn thing in there, so I did the next best thing and called Shane to my rescue. Thankfully he was just up the street running errands and gladly came home to to put me at ease. By this time the darn thing had swam into the skimmer (white box in the picture) and I stood watching to make sure he wasn't going to climb out of the hole (white box to the left on the deck). Shane bravely stuck his hand into the skimmer, scooped out the ugly thing with a shovel and gave him a good ending. This one is gone, but I know more are to come! 

No comments: