Saturday, August 25, 2012

Surprises!

Back HERE, I commented that I had a surprise for Ryan this weekend. Thanks to Leigha for babysitting, we were able to go on an adventure/challenge to remember forever!! Unfortunately, due to the rain, we opted to leave all phones/cameras in the car so you'll have to take our word for it and trust these pix I found on their website. We had done a zipline while on our honeymoon, and when I came across this new place, nestled in Jordan, MN, I knew we had to check it out.
 Incredible doesn't even describe it. The morning started out with the challenge 'high ropes' course. It was overwhelming and made both of us dig down deep inside to pull out some inner strength. We climbed up to roughly 40-50 feet high and started the ropes course. Mom....these pictures alone would make your heart jump out of your chest, I can't imagine having you watch us do this in person! At one point, we both commented "how in the world did we sky dive?!" because we were so scared standing so high off the ground.


Ryan started out first, after all, it was HIS surprise! In hindsight, this wasn't my best decision for the day. So it goes....
He climbed this "cargo ladder" type deal, with his harness clipped to the tight wire above him, and then started on the course. It's set up in a square, so one works their way around each of the various "challenges", all basically with just a tight wire to stand on and often nothing but a harness to really hold onto. 

The biggest challenge proved to be a section, roughly 20 feet long, with separate wooded swings about 3 feet apart, suspended on the tight wire. Our job was to step onto each swing (yes, it's moving, and yes, we're still 50 feet above the ground!), and now it's RAINING pouring! Ryan thought he was going to die, his whole body was trembling as he hung on tight and listened to the staff coaching him from the ground. He made it across, and his arms are incredibly sore tonight. He scowled at me as he watched me quickly hop through the area, using my arms to steady me, not pull me. (he learned that part later). Again, this is all done 50 feet above the ground! We had the safety of a harness holding us up in the event we slipped, but who wants to test that harness!? 


The high ropes course ended with a quick zipline to the ground...making it completely worth the effort. After this challenge, we went on to the "Leap of Faith"....mom, you might just pass out reading this. We climbed a telephone pole, 35 feet above ground....and then I STOOD on top! Yes, I stood on top of a 35 foot pole (again, with a harness); Ryan opted out of this part, figuring he wouldn't be able to balance. After that, I took the "leap of faith", when I jumped off the pole and reached to the trapeeze like I was in the circus! I was the first in the group to actually reach and hold on securly to the trapeez, and the whole group cheered. It was amazing! Except then I had to let go, now close to 36 feet above the ground, with no net!? Thankfully I made it safely to the ground :)

The next part of the adventure was what we were really looking forward to. The zipline. Our previous zipline experience was in Kauai, where the scenery was amazing. Today's zipline was way way way longer at 1700 feet (combined) and 100 feet above the bluffs. Although it wasn't Kauai, it was breathtaking.

To get a short (very cheesy!) video glimpse of the zipline, click HERE.
Another couple we met today mentioned to us that this was a heck of an 8th anniversary present and holds the bar high for the coming years! We all thought a trip back to Hawaii was a good gift :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GJ: Do you have an updated will, cuz I think you both have a death wish . Hawaii , ok I would go.