Tuesday, June 13, 2017

5th grade "graduation"

I'm going to run with this disclaimer that Ryan thinks it's pretty silly that I'm calling it a graduation. Heck, he thinks it's pretty silly that I was as tearful as I was on Regan's last day of 5th grade. I get it, we have far too many "graduations" these days: pre-K, kindergarten, 5th grade and then eventually 8th grade and 12th grade. But this one....this one really pulled on my heart strings. I couldn't shake the fact that Regan would never return to her elementary school (he told me that was crazy silly because we have 2 others who will be going through the same school so of course she'll be back in the school!). Men, they just don't get as attached to these types of things, at least not Ryan!



Let's rewind several years and remind ourselves that we purchased this particular home we live in based on the schools surrounding us. We live just blocks from our neighborhood elementary (and middle and high) school and I fell in love with it the first time we walked through the doors. Honestly. It just felt like home, like we belonged there. The people, the fellow students, it was like an extension of our family. That feeling has only grown over the course of the last 6 years.

walking in on her very first day of school.

another first day of school


And as Regan sat up on stage for the 5th grade awards program, I teared up listening to the amazing principal speak as my mind wandered back 6.5 years when I listened to him first speak before she entered Kindergarten. And I distinctly remember how he talked about "these kids, I love them like my own kids". And you know what?, he meant it. He repeated that phrase up on stage this particular day, and I still believe him. The entire community has been incredible.

We have loved (almost) all of Regan's teachers, some were better than others. But never did I doubt how much those teachers cared about their students. And every year, since she was in kindergarten, Regan's teachers told us "she talks too much". I would roll my eyes and beg her to stop talking while the teacher is talking. This year, her teacher said "she talks too much" but for the first time, we heard "but she still gets her work done, and she doesn't interrupt me, so I have a hard time disciplining her". That girl finally figured it out!! Sort of :( She still talks too much, but at least she is completing her work and not being rude in the process. Multi-tasking; I like it!

the kindergarten teacher-Mrs Checco, who first told us "she talks too much"

fifth grade long term sub: Ms Crippen

At her ceremony, she was awarded with superintendent academics, presidential fitness, battle of the books and school patrols. We are so proud of our little "graduate" and can't wait to see what Middle School has in store for her!!





And then on the final day of school, after one heck of a class party, she walked out those doors for the very last time during the ceremonial "clap out". Oh boy did I shed a few tears. Let's be real, I was in good company between the teachers, parents and even students who bid one final farewell to those amazing 5th graders. We'll miss her school...it's a good thing Sidney will be returning there next year :)

No comments: