Friday, December 16, 2016

Slowing down

I happen to work with some great people who are ahead of me in the game of raising children. Some of them have kids that are either grown and gone or close to that. The one thing I continue to hear from those who have kids older than mine is "enjoy this time, it goes by fast". Similarly I've been told that the "holidays aren't as exciting without little kids around". And so, in heeding their advice, I'm working hard at slowing down. Really slowing down. Now this is not an easy feat when our girls are in 3 dance classes each, softball clinics, gymnastics and have loads of homework. But I'm doing my best. Especially when the little guy asks "pway wif me?". It's a work in progress for me, because 1) I feel the need to keep a very tidy home and with 5 people living under one roof, we produce a lot of laundry and dishes, and 2) I don't particularly like to "pway" trains or trucks. I've changed my tune and am really trying hard to get down on the floor, race trucks, paint pictures and chase him around and around. And you know what?, he loves it when I do! Plus it actually makes him better at playing on his own when I do have to go switch out laundry or scrub the floors. 

As the saying goes: the days are long but the years go fast. Thank you to my amazing friends who remind me of this fact when I still have time to enjoy them when they're young! 

No comments: