Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sidney's 7th birthday

When it comes to birthdays, we try to make a big deal and celebrate all day long. Poor Sidney had to share her 7th birthday on Thursday with school and later Regan's softball so we ended up drawing out her birthday in a week long celebration. The weekend prior, we celebrated at the lake with my side of the family, and then she picked a dinner out to Red Cow and a trolley ride at Lake Harriet once we got back into town. 
I couldn't resist snapping a few pictures of her on her actual birthday, though keep in mind it was 7am. She was up and at 'em bright and early, just waiting to see what was inside of those gifts!

I got a kick out of her expressions. She opened the Silly String first (our kids go nuts over that stuff....partially because we only give it to them once a year or so) and her face just lit up! On to a few more gifts with the same outcome. She saved the biggest for last (that large box pictured below)...far too big to wrap so a bow got slapped on the front and I called it good. She swore there would be a unicorn living inside. Yes folks, she insisted all week that there was a living/breathing unicorn in that box. I tried to tell her otherwise, but she wouldn't have it. 
As everyone is aware, there was no living unicorn in that box. And the expression of defeat swooped across her face. Thankfully it didn't last long and she perked up when she realized it was the overpriced Barbie limo she has been asking for for months. 


I got to spend lunch with her at school and we enjoyed Subway and some tasty chips that are otherwise off-limits (because they have cheese all over them). She and I were in chip heaven! I loved getting to know some of her new friends at school as they all chatted off my ears about life as a First Grader.


And finally, the day she had been waiting for finally arrived: her unicorn party!
She only came up with this theme a few weeks ago, prior to that, she has some fun cake that she wanted me to make! Bummer, she changed her mind and we were off in unicorn la-la-land. 
Oh, but this cake was pretty darn cute (clearly not made by me!).


She got all dolled up and told me exactly what she wanted for her decorations, down to where I was to hang balloons! This girl knows what she wants. 


But I love er to pieces and I simply wouldn't have it any other way. Some day she will move mountains, and it all starts with a unicorn party!


Lincoln didn't know what was all happening, still trying to get a grasp on this whole birthday party stuff. And unfortunately for him, he didn't get to eat any of that cute cake pictured above. Instead, I spent the day prior to her party making safe cookies and cake just for him. Uff-dah, talk about extra work!


She was thrilled to open all of her presents, which included books, toys, money and gift cards. She scored another wallet and that money is just burning a hole in it! 


Since the girls don't have any actual first cousins, they consider these 3 cuties as close as it gets. It's sure fun to have them all fairly close in age. I'm dreading the day, though, that Lincoln starts running around causing trouble with those two cute boys!

Goodness does she love the spot light. 
It wasn't all roses though, holy buckets did she have a few meltdowns! 
And all I could keep thinking was the silly song "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to!". Sorry Sid, but you became a bit emotional with all of the craziness. We love you just the same and are so proud of you.  

Happy 7th birthday sweet Sidney! 
We're not done celebrating yet, she'll have a friend party in another few weeks. 

No comments: