Monday, November 03, 2014

Halloween 2014

Halloween has come and gone. It was a whirlwind of a day. Heck, it was a whirlwind of a week! Sandwiched between Lincoln's birthday, family pictures, Lincoln's 1 year doctor visit and his first birthday party, was Halloween.
Ryan and I decided back in September that we would spend this special day volunteering at the kids' Harvest Parties. Well let's be honest, I made the decision and he hastily agreed to being signed up when I asked him in the middle of a chaotic Open House for school. :) You see, when we only had one kid in school, he was free to go about his day while I spent time volunteering. He's honest when he says volunteering isn't his thing. I even roped him into cross-walk volunteer for the morning of Halloween. I'm pretty good :) lol
 
My parents came up to babysit Lincoln while we headed to school. On the drive, I gave him a preview of what to expect and it went something like this.

Me: "I want to warn you that the chaos and noise level is slightly deafening on party days".
Him: "I might hate you a little right now".
 
In the end, he admitted that it was fun! And seeing the girls be so excited to each have a parent volunteer is worth every second of that deafening noise level.
 
I got to spend the afternoon with Sidney. It was my first time volunteering in her Kindergarten classroom. And while I'm familiar with some of the kids (due to lunches, school events and living in the neighborhood), it was fun to see her interact with all of her classmates.
Her class operated in station format. I was in charge of the 'snack' station. It was a pretty cute owl. She was over the moon delighted to have me as the parent-helper for her first station.

Miss P decorated their tables with some paper in the morning so that the tables were somewhat presentable. She asked all the children to draw a little picture on their table spot. I couldn't resist snapping a picture of Sidney's spot.
My little Picasso. 

Here is her class.
She's sandwiched between her two BFF's. Those 3 are essentially inseparable! 


I was able to sneak away for a few minutes and catch Ryan in Regan's classroom. Unfortunately, their grade was operating on a little different rotation so he only got to spend the last 15 minutes or so with Regan's class (some grades rotate between all grade level classrooms, some grades stay in their own classroom and just rotate stations).
His station was the mini golf into a carved out pumpkin. Not a bad gig for the golfer in the family! 

Here's Regan's rowdy bunch! I had to snap quickly because these kids were excited. Like jump around, can't sit still, excited! Regan's in the back next to Mrs N and her BFF. 

And as if that excitement wasn't enough, we dressed up after dinner and headed into the bitter cold (just under 40F and getting colder). Lincoln (and I), made it to about 6-7 houses before he was ready to go home.
 I love love loved his costume though and just had to take him out in it! He certainly was the cutest little lion that I ever did see :)
 
It was a slow night of treaters at our house...only 6! SIX kids. Sad. We are accustomed to closer to 30. Darn cold must have scared them all away.

Thanks mom and dad for helping out! 

No comments: