Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Back to school

Like every other person in the state of Minnesota, we headed back to school after Labor Day. It's a bittersweet moment for us, as we send off Sidney to Kindergarten this year. Bitter as she is growing up, much too fast. And sweet because she is growing up, maturing into a beautiful little girl (that and the fact that our daycare costs are reduced exponentially!).



Regan started 3rd grade this year. She was eager and ready and not really nervous at all. Coming home after school she said her only complaint was that she didn't have enough time to have a "real conversation" with her teacher. Yea....she likes to socialize. That's our Regan, the one who is in right field at a softball game and talking to the coach about everything and anything. Or the one who strikes up a conversation with an adult about whatever is on her mind. She likes to talk (though not so much listen!). 

After school, she told me all about her day. I've learned that the less I ask, the more she tells me. She said she had gym class and described the game that they played (kind of like a meet-the-class game where you say something you like and the rest of the students that also like that object, run to the nearest cone. She said she liked pickles.). She has oodles of friends in her 3rd grade class, having made new BFF's each year. Throughout the evening she mentioned lots of names of children she talked to, played with and sat next to. As for learning, they're working on cursive: letters t and i. She proudly wrote them in her daily planner and had me sign my name to prove that we looked at it together. Her school is striving for student independence and ownership....I'm gonna like this :)


When asked the following questions, here are her answers as we start the new year:
I'm 8 1/2 years old
I want to be an: artist
My favorite food is: donuts
My best friends are Danielle and Kailey



As for Sidney, she had a mock first day on the Tuesday after Labor Day. More like a one hour orientation where she got to spend time in her classroom, organize her school supplies in her cubby and meet a few classmates (not everyone goes at the same hour). She was nervous, but more just unhappy that I didn't let her wear flip-flops to school and other students wore them. Such a bad mommy. I spent most of that hour meeting with the principal, PTA president and school nurse. We spent the rest of the day together at home, reading books, playing games like Hi Oh Cherry Oh. She helped me clear out flowers and put things into the attic. I'm going to miss this helper of mine as she ventures into the real world of school. 

At night before bed, we read 3 more books: one about Kindergarten, and the other two heart wrenching books: Someday and If I Could Keep You Little. Why do I do this to myself!? The girls hate those 2 books, because they make me cry. And they hate to see mommy cry. Such sweet girls.



Her "real" first day was Wednesday; and again, she was upset that she had to wear tennis shoes. When we explained that she might have gym and needed gym shoes on, she tried telling us she would just go find Regan and have Regan tie her shoes. Sorry kiddo, that's not going to work. She obliged and wore tennis shoes.


I was disappointed that her first day of school had rainy weather and we couldn't do our traditional pictures, so we had to go out back and take them under shelter. But they will work. 

After some photos, we all walked in together to her new school. She found her hook for her backpack, took out her lunch and waterbottle (she changed her mind early this morning and wanted home lunch on her first day. I obliged because there was just so much new to her, I felt she needed control of at least this one thing). We gave a few quick hugs, took one last picture, and into her classroom she went, briefly waving to us. We peaked in after her.
There were no tears. No looking back.


Just excitement as she wandered around her classroom searching for her table spot with her name. Which meant there really were no tears for us either. She's brave, that girl. As I drove away with Lincoln to his daycare, tears welled up in my eyes as I thought about how much growing she will do over this next school year. I'm telling you, speaking from experience with Regan, the things that these kids learn and do over the next 9 months is simply amazing. And I'm so excited for all that she will learn. But secretly, I just want to hold tight to this little girl who is growing up so fast!


When asked the following questions, here are her answers as we start the new year:
I'm almost 6 years old (birthday next week)
I want to be a teacher
My favorite food is: cucumbers and mommy's home made lemon poppyseed muffins
My best friends are Natalie and Madilyn (neither of which attend her new elementary school).
And today, when I picked her up after school she announced "I like Kindergarten!" and quickly followed with "I'm excited to go back tomorrow". 
We all just breathed a big ol' sigh of relief. 

No comments: