Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Snowy adventures

When I volunteered to chaperone Regan's nature center field trip on April 22nd, snow was the last thing I anticipated. Nonetheless, I ventured into the cold and took in the white winter wonderland. I have to admit, it was a beautiful back drop. The thick white snow clung to the branches. Now if this were January, I would have been in full delight. But let me remind you, it was April. 
The twenty-second! 

Pretty isn't it. 

Regan was very interested in the nature walk, though we all admitted, it was difficult to go on a nature walk when the plan was to learn about spring and tree buds and all we saw instead was brown and bark. Plan B, we got a lesson in bark and animal snow tracks.  

After a long (and cold!) walk through the woods, we finally came inside for what the kiddos agreed was the best part of the field trip: meeting some animals. 
First up was a snake. Regan's teacher is petrified of snakes so she politely waited in the hall and allowed us chaperones to keep watch on the kiddos. 
Regan didn't bat an eye at taking her turn touching the slithery thing! 

The barred owl was my favorite. Those things amaze me, and watching as she got spooked a time or two was incredible. She "flew" (not really because she was tethered to the lovely staff), and showed us the wing span is incredible! The kids were so well behaved, listening quietly and not making a peep as instructed when she started "flying" which would only have spooked her more. Let me tell you, it was a bit scary, especially for the front row. 

I am so grateful to be able to skip out a few hours on work volunteer to tag along on these adventures with Regan. I know a day will come when she doesn't want me there; but so far, she's loving my presence as much as I love being with her. Too bad I have officially lost my first name, and am known solely as "Regan's mom" throughout the entire school. Awesome.  

No comments: