Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Growing up....

My big girl is growing up, and I'm reminded of this daily.
I hear THIS SONG occasionally and it brings tears to my eyes.
Tonight we ventured to her first parent-teacher conference of her elementary school experience. Before we left, she did a number of things to remind me just how much she has learned in the first 6 weeks of school. First, she created a "book" by gluing paper as a binding and not only writing her own story, but also illustrating it. She continues to 'brave spell', and today all on her own, wrote her story with the exception of 2 large words which she asked for prompting.
After she read her story to me, along with a similar one from school today, I picked out one of the Dick and Jane books. By golly this girl is starting to read books!
Yes, I completely agree that those stories are cheesy and annoying but the repetition of it makes her successful in reading and her face beams with pride at the end of each page. As her teacher mentioned tonight, one of the greatest joys is teaching a child to read. I couldn't agree more!

As for what else her teacher had to say, it was all positive. Regan is on track, and at times beyond what is expected, academically. (Un)fortunately, she's a little social too so we need to continue to remind this little beauty that "listening ears" are put on for a reason.Thankfully her teacher is accustomed to chatty 5 year olds and reminded us she too, had to be prompted to mute herself during her school years. It could be worse right?, she could be crying in a corner refusing to make new friends!
We love you to pieces Regan and are so very proud of you, our big kindergartner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GJ says: The song is heart wrenching, it makes me sob every time I hear it, where did the time go, my little girl is all grown up with babies of her own. It is very bitter sweet.