Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Halloween / Dia de los muertes

I’m fortunate that Sidney still wants me at her holiday parties at school. Today, despite the mountain of work piled high on my desk, I kept my promise to her (and the room parents) and made my way to school for the fall harvest party. We had a good time and I spent most of the afternoon snapping pictures and chatting with parents/teachers while helping with crafts and activities.



After school, with only her in tow, Sidney and I decided we needed a special after school snack. There’s a new restaurant in town; and this place has been packed since opening day. So packed that they literally ran out of food and had to close last weekend! Her and I dined on appetizers and strawberry lemonade while discussing the party. I mentioned to her that this may have been the last harvest party as the school is deciding whether to continue. After commenting about cost and religion as factors, we decided to look up the history of Halloween (so I may somehow help her understand the religion aspect). Pretty interesting stuff. I explained it to her by relating to the movie Coco (side note: if you haven’t seen it, go watch it. And expect tears, like crocodile tears). The movie is all about Dia de los muertos, ie: Halloween. Where if we remember those that have died, setting up a shrine on that special day, their spirit will come visit us. 
We wrapped up our day-date and headed to the evening festivities of trick or treating. 



This year, we opted to go door to door with some friends that live nearby. They took us to streets and houses I’d never been to before but right in my own neighborhood. We were having a good time, when suddenly a cute dog comes bouncing out of a house wanting to play. The owner comes dashing out after him calling: Leo! Come back here Leo!

I stopped in my tracks, smiled up to the night sky knowing I hadn’t forgotten, and neither has my dad. Love ya dad! Thanks for the visit. 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GJ: It's the little things...

wallnebj said...

Always watching