Saturday, November 25, 2017

Turkey day 2017

 We started off Thanksgiving a little different this year. Working in health care, rehab to be more specific, I am thankful every single day that I have the ability to exercise. In fact, as odd as it sounds, I'm incredibly thankful to be able to run. So it seemed fitting to start off my Thanksgiving day with a quick 5K. 
To clarify, this was totally not my idea. In fact, see that other girl in the photo below? It was her idea. Regan's friend Adrian wanted desperately to run this race, but her parents are not runners. As she and Regan enjoyed cross country over the fall, the idea to run the Turkey Day run grew and suddenly included me! None of us parents were willing to let the girls lose with 9,000 runners, and it seemed safest for someone to run along side. I volunteered myself, knowing it would be a good way to start the day. 


The beauty that morning was stunning. We ran through downtown and near the river. It was a gorgeous morning (yes, a little chilly but at least it wasn't windy!). 


I was so proud of the girls! They stuck with it, running the entire time. I paced them at 10 minutes/mile and although they were winded, they never needed to stop. I tried striking up conversations with them, but could tell they were both too tired to think and too out of breath to respond :) Super happy to have spent the morning with my oldest! 


 After the run, we got to join the rest of the crew and prepped our Thanksgiving meal. 


Four days before Thanksgiving, Ryan got the bright idea to deep fry the turkey this year. I sort of did a 'face-palm', because again, working in health care, I envisioned spending Thanksgiving in the ER due to burns. So we both read and watched and scoured the internet on "how to cook a turkey without killing yourself". There are some pretty great reads out there! 
I'm happy to announce it was a complete success! No one was injured and Ryan was beyond pleased with the outcome of his bird. I can't say the smell of it was anything grand, we had to open 6 windows and the front door (think greasy fast food joint); so much for that delicious cooked turkey smell. Apparently in his mind, it was totally worth it. 


At the end of the day, I felt so much love in my heart and as always, am so thankful for these three cuties who call me mom. 


No comments: