Sunday, June 05, 2016

School's out!

We wrapped up grades 1 and 4 last week and officially have a 2nd grader and 5th grader. Oh boy, 5th grade is really choking me up. It'll be Regan's final year of elementary school and I can hardly believe it. I honestly remember walking into that (big/scary) elementary school for the first time, praying that they would keep her safe and she would be happy. To think we are about to enter her final year?, it's almost too much. 
first day of school: grade 1 and grade 4

Each year, the school does a 5th grade clap out, and each year, I make it down just in time to observe (ah hem, silently cry in the background, knowing far too soon it will be our turn to participate). Every year there are tears. Every year there is joy. And this year was no different. On the final day of school, Lincoln and I raced down in the rain to watch the clap-out and tears immediately started running down my cheeks. Why?! I don't even really know any of the kids. But I just can't help thinking that those kids are moving on to the (big/scary) middle school and are never going to walk the halls of the safe elementary school again. Insert many tears. It just seems to go so fast. And I constantly remember the quote: The days are long, but the years are short. They sure are!

final day of school as a 1st and 4th grader. 

No comments: