Monday, March 16, 2020

Winter-little things

As we sit in the midst of this COVID-19 pandemic, I wanted to quick look back and remember the fun we had this winter season of 2019-2020. Before we all were isolated in our homes (except yours truly who must go into the hospital every day). I cried today for the first time since this all started, and I cried 4 times. Fear for the unknown. Sadness for what is lost. Hope that we will get through this untouched.
 
But I can't live in that space too often, life moves on. So up with the bootstraps!
 
 In no particular order, here's some random photos off my phone.
 
The elementary school collected 2 liter soda pop bottles for the ring toss game at the carnival. They collected loads of these bottles. And then Sidney proceeded to bring EIGHT back home. The girl is a master at ring toss!
 
 
We woke up on Regan's birthday to our house being TP'd.
Our security cameras actually caught the little buggers on video the night before and woke me up, but it was minutes too late and they were already headed down the street.
I laughed. Because really, who doesn't want some fun loving TP on their birthday!? And we cleaned up 7 rolls of it!!
Although she asked around, the little vandalizing fellas haven't come clean.
 
(side note: I wish I would've kept all that TP now that we can't find any on store shelves).

 
We had lots of fires, and cuddled up around them after a busy weekend or long day at the rink. There is something about the smell and heat of a fire that just brings us all together. We tend to congregate around the fire, often me and the girls huddled up on the hearth. But this time, I caught Ryan and Lincoln snuggled in together.

 
Grandma Jan came back from a quick Arizona trip, all tanned and filled up with Vitamin D. I'm thankful now that she's here this winter and can isolate herself and not be traveling.
 


As the snow began to melt, we busted out Lincoln's new bike from his birthday last year. He was hesitant at first, but is already cruising around on that thing like he did with his little one. And he's so proud to be riding this bigger one.
 

 
I thought I had seen it all. And then, while volunteering, someone showed up with this dog in a sling. I took a double take, and then a photo. Because, it's a dog in a sling!?

 
Lincoln picked up on reading, thanks to Dick and Jane. They really are the best. They're short and repetitive and easy enough to finish in one setting. He's already graduating onto bigger books now.

 
His teacher sent home some of his work from school.
Ahhhh, I giggled and giggled reading his "brave" spelling as I thought back to both girls in kindergarten with the same types of work.
Sound it out: 'uvn'
 

 
Regan and I volunteered with her summer club softball team sorting and sorting nearly 300 pizza orders from her team. The association sold pizzas for a fundraiser. Thank you to those who supported her!

 
And finally, sometimes I fail miserably at taking pictures with the girls. Here we were watching Lincoln play hockey. I had one girl with the giggles, eager to take a picture, and another one who was annoyed and cold and not in the mood. Can you guess which description fits each girl :)

 
And now, as the winter season slows down, we are met with the most unique situation of quarantine and isolation and social distancing.
The kids are doing online school for the foreseeable future,
 Ryan's working from home, and I'm being greeted at night with "were you safe today?"
meaning was I able to avoid close contact with anyone.
People are hoarding paper products, the store shelves are empty.
Softball is cancelled.
Volleyball is cancelled.
We're filling our time with games and bike rides, more fires, movies, arts and crafts, play dou and family time.
Trying to make the most of this and taking one day at a time.
 Each day, we are one day closer to this being over.

No comments: