Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Please- Stay home


When I started working at the hospital nearly 17 years ago, my coworkers asked me how I would handle the stress? Burnout is very high in this line of work. My answer was simple, I exercise. I run, I workout, I move. 


Throughout my time, the hospital remodeled a beautiful new fitness center. Not state of the art, but beautiful and sufficient for my simple needs. I’m lucky enough that it is so close, I can sneak away from my office and the patient care unit most days over the noon hour. Me and a small handful of the 10,000 employees, never more than 6 others. It’s the best of both worlds to have a gym smack dab at your work place. 

6 days ago, as this horrible COVID-19 virus crept into MN and started spreading, I text Ryan “as long as I can go to the gym, I’ll be ok”. He laughed. Knowing it’s my outlet for a stressful job. 




Fast forward to yesterday ....when that gym and all others across the state, were (rightfully) closed. I was devastated, and have cried no less than 8,541 tears from an incredibly stressful and trying time. It’s exhausting, and saddening, and hard to work in healthcare. And it’s even harder during a pandemic. 

There’s no doubt that we will get past this. We will look back and be more grateful for our health, our freedom (and an endless supply of toilet paper at Target!). In the meantime, for anyone reading, I urge you to stay home, stay safe. That means interact with only your immediate family: no play dates, no sleepovers, no extended family gatherings. Please, for my life and those in all hospitals, please, stay home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GJ: We are not all invincible. Some of us are very vulnerable. We need our caregivers to stay healthy. You are all very needed. I'm proud of you and send a virtual hug. Love you...