Tuesday, August 01, 2017

I love you too!

Nearly every night, I put Lincoln to bed. It's just our thing. And nearly every night, we have the same back and forth banter. Until tonight. 

A typical bedtime routine lasts 20+ minutes; some call me lucky, others say it's 18  minutes too long. Nonetheless, at the end of it all, when he's snuggled into his bed, I hold his hand for a few seconds and he tells me to go to bed and the same conversation happens. Every. Single. Night.
Lincoln: "go up there sleep"
Me: "after I do the laundry" (because who am I kidding, while I could sleep at 8:30, I shouldn't!)
Lincoln: "go up there sleep"
Me: "after I do the laundry"
(why we repeat this, I don't know, but we do. every. single. night)
I then have to give his 3 year old hand two tiny squeezes before letting go and it continues....
Me: "ok, go to sleep. I love you"
Lincoln: "NO!, I love YOU!"
Me: "ok"
Lincoln: "WHAT?!"
Me: "okkkaaayyy".

Every. Darn. Night! seriously, for at least the last 12 months, we have exchanged these words. Until tonight, when he had a smirk across his face while I said "I love you!" and he replied "wait....I love you too!".


As much as I loved his response (finally we can love each other!), I'm going to miss this cute banter :) Love my little boy!

No comments: