Friday, April 03, 2020

WFH

WFH-work from home
It's a new term I've used a lot in the last several months. One that has been fairly uncommon in my language because it's hard to WFH when you work in a hospital. I have had the opportunity to spend most Fridays over the last couple of years officing out of my home, but never did I imagine I would move my entire work space home. 

But then again, never did I imagine much of what is happening right now. We are living in unprecedented times.
It's scary, it's unpredictable. 
It's unbelievable. 
And it's hard. 

My mom as well as a friend's dear mom both recently sent me handmade masks to bring in on my last day of work to donate. Allina asked the community and then received many amazing donations of masks. 
Some of my coworkers then spent countless hours helping sort as well as assembling face shields as we prepare for these most challenging times.  


My last day inside the walls of the hospital, I was issued a face mask. It's terrifying and sad and emotional and exhausting. 
It was then decided, in an effort to preserve those precious masks, to move myself and most of my team to our homes. 



It is not ideal. 
But nothing is ideal right now. 
I left my beautiful office (and dual monitors!), my amazing office-mates, the comfort of work, seeing my patients face to face and working side by side with doctors, nurses, therapists and the rest of the rehab team. 

Instead, my revised "sit to stand" desk (aka the kitchen island) now holds my tiny laptop and I have never felt more disconnected from my patients and families. 
We have spent hours upon hours this week helping to troubleshoot IT problems, submit tickets for new apps/access, and learning a new-normal. 
I'm a pro at blocking my cell number during outbound calls. 
We zoom meetings. 
I'm "connected" in a whole different way. 


No one knows how long this will last. 
And while I (and my whole family) feels safer to have me WFH, 
I'm optimistic that some day, we will get back to our old routines. 

For now, 
I've traded my typical lunch workout at the hospital gym, 
for walks around the block with my new "coworkers"....my family :) 


Stay safe everyone. 

No comments: