Thursday, January 16, 2020

From baby to kindergarten to high school registration

It almost doesn't feel real to even say out loud: high school registration.
I'm only 29, how can I have a high schooler :) ha! Yea right. 29.
 
Oh this sweet baby girl who loved me to pieces, wore whatever I put on her and loved to play in my arm....., she's growing up so fast!
 
I remember getting this pamphlet in January of 2011 and thinking "kindergarten....already!"
 
 
And now here we are, a mere 9 years later, staring at this not-so-tiny-book below, wishing we were looking at that pamphlet. A time when we were worried about lost loveis and missing favorite toys. There's some truth to what they say "little kids, little problems; big kids big problems".
 
Tonight, I sat in an auditorium filled with parents of soon-to-be-freshman and listened as all of her options were laid out before me: geometry, world language, STEM classes and fine arts. Don't forget AP and honors courses and if you want to be considered for something extra-special, there's the pre-ACT requirement next month.
 My head was spinning and my hand was writing frantically.
Us moms gathered afterwards to compare notes, huddled around my cell phone looking at websites to hopefully help our kiddos make the right decisions to prepare them for a future.
One that their 8th grade mind has no idea what it wants (nor should it!).
The pressure is huge, and I vow not to ask her "what do you want to be when you grow up?", so she can choose the correct high school classes.
At least not this month.
 
 
Oh baby girl, your future is bright. And although I still cannot believe we are heading to high school, we are so excited for whatever your future may bring! This mom who loves to learn, is begging you to take me along on this journey because I'd love to take some of those classes with you!
 
 
Pretty please!

No comments: