Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Kindergarten field trip: Zoo


Today was a big day for many of the kids in the girls' elementary school. The kindergartners were heading to the MN Zoo, and the 5th graders were off to Valleyfair!! Needless to say, poor Regan was feeling pretty left out. Her big field trip of the year was to a local planetarium, and she thought that was no fun in comparison. Ahh, but alas, she has no idea what is in her very near future (more on that after it happens). For now, mum is the word :) 

Back to today, Sidney was so very excited for her big field trip day! I'm not sure what made her more excited: going on the actual field trip, or having me chaperone!? She was soooo ready for our day!!


I felt like a veteran this time around, having been on Regan's zoo trip 3 years ago. I knew what to bring, I knew what to expect, and I was armed and ready for my small group of 4 little ones, even naming our group: The Fabulous Four! At one point, we ran into one of their classmates who darted past us. As quick as I could ask "who is that?", he was gone. I speed-dialed the teacher who quickly informed me he had ran off from his group and was pleased as punch to be pointed in the right direction to locate him. Within 2 minutes, he was back in his group. I, on the other hand, was relieved he wasn't assigned to my group! 

At this time of the school year, the energy level is high and the eagerness to learn is pretty low. That didn't stop me from trying to give these 4 the best possible zoo experience out there. We stuck together, we pointed out animals, we laughed, and we maybe even learned a little bit :) 


There were 3,000 school children at the zoo today (yes, we were told that actual number!). Keeping track of The Fabulous Four was not an easy feat. I was constantly counting heads. 1-2-3-4. Over and over and over. These kids climbed on every rock, every tree branch, every everything! It was crazy. I think this bear gives a pretty good depiction of how we all felt when the day was done! 

Spending time with Sidney and all the kindergartners from her school, gives me perspective. She is calm and well-mannered, even though she despises long car (bus) rides and is quickly impatient. And goodness sake is she not the cutest little 6 year old out there! 

Hearing Sidney announce that today was "the best field trip ever!" makes all that exhaustion totally worthwhile. I love you Sid and I'm so happy we got to spend the day together. 

No comments: